Sunday, May 9, 2010

A Single Mom's Mother's Day

Well, today was Mother's Day. It felt good being recognized at church for being a mother but somehow it was just another day for me. It has been a long time since someone did something special for me, not saying that I'm feeling sorry for myself but it's just another day.
Since 2008, I have been a single mother, taking on the role of provider both financially and in the other aspects of being a 'mother'. It is my responsibility to hand out the discipline, correction, to feed, clothe my son. I am the one who is to be an influence in his life, offer support emotionally and mentally. I am the one who is his taxi driver and will be until he old enough to drive. Every aspect of parenting has been left to me and it is taking some getting used to.

I made the comment on my Facebook status last night that 'I wanted to wish all the Single Moms a special Mother's Day and I hope they know that they are not the only one out there trying to take it one day at a time'. I got to thinking about that statement. So many times I feel like that it is all me that is dealing with being a 'single' mom, I feel like I'm the only one juggling a full time ministry, Church, volunteer work, school for my child and myself and all the other responsiblities that come with being a Mom like Dr.Appointments, School functions, etc. But, I'm not the only one. As I got to thinking about it, I know a few single moms myself and I wondered how do they do it? I somedays don't know how I do it! lol! I really don't. But, then I realize that I didn't do anything. My God in heaven gave the exact amount of energy, strength, mental capacity, patience, love and so many other things to get through that very day! It is about taking it one day at a time and God is about taking it one day at a time. When He created the World in 7 days, He did it one day at a time. He didn't stop and think about how He was going to create what was supposed to be done on day 4 when He was on day 1, He did it all one day at a time! So, why should I try to figure out how to do it ahead of time? I need to just get through the day and then when tomorrow or next week gets here, it will be time to deal with it. Nobody said I had to skip ahead of time and worry about something that wasn't even here yet. Just one day at a time. I know that God will give me what it takes to get through the one day I have to live. I'm not guaranteed another day, nobody is. So, why not just live today? Take care of today. God doesn't really give us the energy to take of tomorrow, He gives us what we need for that day and that day only!

I'm not in this single mom buisness alone and I'm glad of that. I pray that God allows me to be inspiring and encouraging to all the other single moms out there through my blogging and writings. Mother's Day as a single mom has another meaning to it now, it makes me think about all the other single moms out there, it makes me say prayer for them. Now, it makes me pray for them more often, that God gives them what they need to get through one day at a time.

So, on this Mother's Day in 2010, I am making it a point to give all the other single moms out there more consideration and prayer.

Happy Mother's Day to all of you mother's out there. :)

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I was heavily burdened yesterday for my friends who struggle with infertility - Mother's Day is probably tough on a lot more ladies than we think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I know! There's such a broad spectrum of areas that make Mother's Day harder for others. I say a special prayer for them all!

    ReplyDelete