Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Dalton's First Surgery June 22, 2010

Dalton in the Boat Wagon


































Dalton getting changed.


Dalton had his very first surgery. As minor as it was it turned out to be a bigger adventure than planned. He was going in to have his tonsils and adenoids taken out and then he was to have tubes placed in both of his ears. Again, very minor surgery, Day Surgery. We had to be at Wolfson's Children's Hospital (WCH) by 11:40 to get signed in and than surgery was scheduled for 1:40pm.

Monday we went to his pediatrician for the Pre-Op appointment and a follow up appointment. The previous week Dalton was battling a chest cold and ear infection, he was on meds for week but still sort of coughing a little bit. His doctor said that the cough was pretty gone enough for him to go ahead with surgery. She and I agreed that we could not put off this surgery any longer because of how often Dalton gets sick.

We got the okay from his doctor and so off to Walmart we went to stock up on ice cream, popsicles, jello and juices. We home that night and started to house chores, packing our bags (we were supposed to spend the night at the Ronald McDonald House because we lived too far away from a hospital in the case something happened.). We went to bed and for some reason, I could not go to sleep! I didn't fall asleep until around 5:30-6:00 and the alarm was set to go off at 7. So, needless to say, I didn't get the rest and sleep for big day.

We got up on Tuesday, got the car packed and did a few last minute things and then we headed off to Jacksonville. We went there a little early, had to stop at the Church office for something and we got done there a bit early so we stopped a Thrift Store. lol, yeah, I went to a thrift store but I found 3 skirts and a Christian CD for under $20! So, after there we headed to the Hospital which was only less than 5 minutes away.

We went up and got registered and Dalton got changed from his clothes to his gown. We sat in the waiting room until about 1:30. While we waited in the big waiting room, there had to been at least 20 different other families. They were there with their little ones who had gone into surgery or were waiting to go in. Bro. Calvin from our church came and sat with us for a bit. He and I talked for a bit about different things which helped calm my nerves down a bit. Than he prayed with us and instructed Dalton to eat ice cream for him later. Dalton promised and even asked Bro. Calvin what kind he liked so that he made sure that he ate the right one. :)

We finally got called back and started another period of waiting, this time we waited to see the anthesiologist. She finally came back to see us after about 30 minutes. She was really cool, her name was Jessica too. :) After she sat and talked to Dalton and I she left and than about 10-15minutes later we go to see Dr. Kress. She came in and just went over the surgery procedure and then she left. About 10 minutes later the nurses came and got Dalton, they pushed him in a wagon that was a boat and then they pushed him to the operating room. As they did that, I headed back out the big waiting room where my friend Jeannie sat waiting for me with coffee from Elianos. I was sooo grateful for coffee, I was really starting to feel tired by then and hungry. So we waited, the surgery was only supposed to take about 30 minutes. We sat and talked and I did what I could to stay occupied, I called my doctor's office and scheduled an appointment to get my back checked out again. Later my friends Nelle and Lillian, who I work with at the Church office came and brought me dinner which was really good! Right before they came the Dr. Kress came out and told me that Dalton had done really good. So, I started eating and then got a call from one of the recovery nurses. She told me that Dalton was waking up and he was coughing alot. They had to give him a breathing treatment and they were calling Dr. Kress to find out if they needed to admit him to the hospital for the night. Dr. Kress decided to do that and then came out and told me that. She was a bit worried about his breathing and him coughing too much and doing some damage to the surgery on his tonsils. By that time I had lost my appetite and started making phone calls. I was a very concerned and while all the decison making was going on I still hadn't seen Dalton. Finally they told me and Jeannie that we could go back and see him and we were able to go back where we really were not supposed to.

Bless his heart, he was crying and I felt like my heart was just going to melt. He saw me though coming in the doors though and he looked a bit relieved. Anyways, they finally moved him to a room on the 6th floor and we got him settled in. I ended up calling and canceling our reserveration at the Ronald McDonald House and hauling our bags in to the hospital. Fortunately I had packed extra pillows and a blanket and a snack bag cause it all came in hand later.

So, we spent a night at the hospital. The nurses we had were great to us, they were very nice and willing to get us both anything that we needed. We didn't go to sleep until about 1am, and then from there we both tried to sleep. Up until then, we had did a puzzle that Jeannie had bought him, we colored in coloring books and watched alot of TV, we don't have cable so it's nice to watch things we don't normally get to. :)

The night there went alright, I couldn't sleep, I don't know anyone that has slept well staying overnight in a hospital room. But, it could have been worse too.

We both were up by 6:30 just in time for shift change. The first thing I did was go hunt down the coffee, I could tell by the time I put both feet on the floor that I was going to need alot of it. We both got breakfast, he actually ate some scrambled eggs and yogurt. Right as we finished, Dr. Kress came in and said that we could go home! Yay!
So, we (well, I) started packing up our stuff and changing clothes. By 11:00 we were headed for the car. We had to stop at Walmart and drop off prescriptions to pick up tomorrow and I was really craving Chicken Fried Rice with Shrimp in it and so we had to stop at the Chinese Take Out restaurant and pick that up for my lunch and dinner. Then it was off to home, where our comfortable beds were! I was exhuasted and looking forward to going to bed!
Well home and bed we came to and we are now resting and looking foward to getting some more sleep! This whole adventure was defiantely one to remember. It was great coming home and checking my Facebook and seeing all the prayers and words of encouragement waiting there. It was also amazing to see who my true friends really were. I am very blessed to have people who treat me like I am their family and who care about Dalton and I in so many ways. Again, through this whole thing, even though it was nerve racking and exhausting, God proved that He is still on His throne and through all this God was beyond Good To Me!

4 comments:

  1. So glad to hear that Dalton is doing well. Hoping you both get lots of rest tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mrs. Paula, I am hoping so too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pictures are cute! Glad he's doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. I didn't get a chance to edit any of them. He's doing much better, sort of getting back to himself which is a good and bad thing! lol! Just kidding.

    ReplyDelete